Thames & Kosmos Biology GENETICS & DNA – Science Toys for Kids | Age 10+
Award-winning STEM kit. Investigate genetics, the branch of biology focused on heredity and variation in organisms; and DNA, the acid that holds the blueprints for life.
- For start-up Scientists. Age 10+
- Teaches basic concepts of biology & genetics.
- Understand heredity & the biology of reproduction.
Be part of the Future!
GENETICS and DNA – STEM Science Experiments for Kids
By Thames & Kosmos, USA
The 21 Century focus. For young leaders of the future.
GENETICS and DNA: Our children are gifted with the power to invent and achieve amazing technological feats. Most of all, it’s through creative play that they learn how to exploit these skills.
Head into the lab for an in-depth investigation of genetics, the branch of biology focused on heredity and variation in organisms; and in addition learn about DNA that holds the blueprints for life.
DNA and GENES
DNA is short for DeoxyriboNucleic Acid, and is an essential molecule for life. It acts like a recipe holding the instructions telling our bodies how to develop and function. DNA is a long thin molecule made up of something called nucleotides.
Our bodies have around 210 different types of cells. Each cell does a different job to help our body to function. There are blood cells, bone cells, and cells that make our muscles. These cells get their instructions on what do to from DNA, which acts something like a computer program. The cell is the computer or the hardware, and the DNA is the program or code.
Within each string of DNA are sets of instructions called GENES. A gene tells a cell how to make a specific protein, which then are used by the cell to perform certain functions, to grow, and to survive.
This comprehensive, award-winning Thames & Kosmos GENETICS and DNA kit also explores the biology of reproduction, the components of cells, and how chromosomes are combined and copied.
See genetic material with your own eyes as you isolate DNA from a tomato in a test tube. Investigate inheritance and learn how traits are passed down from parents to children. Learn about dominant and recessive genes and play inheritance games to determine how traits will be expressed.
Assemble a model to see the elegant double-stranded helical structure of DNA. Then crack the genetic code and find out how the different parts, called nucleotides, fit together. Read about how scientists use DNA sequencing to reveal the order of nucleotides in DNA.
You even get to analyze DNA evidence to identify suspects and solve a crime! Learn about the influential scientists, including Mendel, Watson, and Crick, who made breakthrough contributions to this field.
But that’s not all – breed your own bacteria colony to experiment with genetic engineering. Read about how mutation affects genes and how scientists clone plants and animals.
This bumper and thorough Genetics and DNA kit includes a full-color, 48-page manual to guide your experiments.isolate the DNA from a tomato.
• How to isolate the DNA from a tomato in a test tube
• Especially relevant, learn about dominant & recessive genes
• Investigate inheritance and consequently learn how traits are passed from parents to children
• Learn about the biology of reproduction and the components of cells
• Then work out how chromosomes are combined & copied
• Furthermore assemble a DNA model to see its elegant double-stranded helical structure
• As a result crack the genetic code: discover how the different parts, called nucleotides, fit together
More Fun Learning:
• Another fun experiment is to analyse DNA evidence to identify suspects and solve a crime
• In addition breed your own bacteria colony to experiment with survival of the fittest
• Furthermore, read how mutation affects genes and how scientists clone plants and animals
• Read how scientists use DNA sequencing to reveal the order of nucleotides in DNA
• Learn about influential scientists, including Mendel, Watson & Crick, who made breakthrough contributions.
Experiment Manual: Click here
The kit includes:
• 48-page full-colour manual
• 20+ components including test tubes, pipette, petri dishes, inheritance chart and much more.
• 20 experiments
Awards: Parents’ Choice Gold Award
Box Dimensions: 330 x 230 x 65 mm
WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD — Small parts. Not for children under 3 yrs.
Thames & Kosmos Biology GENETICS and DNA – Science Toys for Kids | Age 10+
Thinkfun ROBOT TURTLES | Programming Game for Kids | Age 5+$57.90 Read moreRead more
Thames & Kosmos HYDROPOWER Science Toys for Kids | Age 8+$69.00 Add to cartRead more
Thinkfun CIRCUIT MAZE | Coding for Kids | Age 8+$59.00 Add to cartRead more
ENGINO 18 Mechanics Kit w Motor | Construction Toys for Kids | Age 6+$59.00 Add to cartRead more